Minutes for the January 14, 2016 ExComm Meeting
Commence at 8:11PM, Present: John, Bill, Nancy, Alistair
APPROVE THE AGENDA
The minutes of the November 12, 2015 meeting were distributed by email, approved, and printed in the December issue of the IdioM. There was no December meeting.
John: move to accept the minutes, second Bill.
Treasurer – comments re: report already distributed by email. Finances are struggling a bit, but well on their way to health.
Virtual Meeting – non-event due to date confusion (John had the wrong week) and lack of anticipated technical support (Bill’s work schedule has expanded significantly). Plan to do another VM in February.
Scholarship – currently 37 applications, with none disqualified due to address. (This has been an issue for other groups.) We have the chair plus two additional scorers available, essays are expected to be distributed this coming week.
Editor – Bill reported that this year would be his last as Editor, and a replacement needs to be found.
1. Becca Miles has offered her resignation from the ExComm. Her work schedule has been expanding, and is expected to continue, preventing her attendance.
2. Nancy: move to accept her resignation, Bill second. Passed.
1. John: move to approve the appointment of Mike Reid AC for Gaston County (Jefferson has moved.) Nancy second. Passed.
2. John: move to fund one Culture Quest team for 2016. Registration deadline is March 31, fee is $50.00. Event is 3:00pm Central on May 1, 2016. Nancy second. Passed.
3. Appointment of NOMINATING COMMITTEE is due next month. Discussion ensued. It is noted that committee needs to appoint a chair next month.
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Thursday February 11 2016 at 7:30 P.M., to be held at the Cammidge Residence.
Bill: move, Nancy second to adjourn at 9:04 P.M
Minutes for the February 17, 2016 ExComm Meeting
(Rescheduled from February 11, due to absence of Alistair Cammidge.)
Present were John Barnes, Bill Fleet and Nancy Campbell.
Meeting commenced at 9:20PM.
APPROVE THE AGENDA
The minutes of the January 14, 2016 meeting were approved and printed in the January 2016 issue of the IdioM.
Treasurer – John provided report at meeting.
Scholarship – final total of 53 applications, with one disqualified for including their name. Essays and scoring sheets were distributed on January 17 to three judges, judging is complete.
1) Appointment of NOMINATING COMMITTEE:
a) John moves, Nancy second to appoint Kathi Rich as Nominating Committee Chair.
b) John moves, Nancy second to appoint Ruth Green-Waite to the Nominating Committee.
c) John moves, Nancy second to appoint Mike Reid to the Nominating Committee.
All three have agreed to these appointments.
1) John moves, Bill second that we request space on the national servers for our public facing web page. This would involve a change in our domain name and some slight loss of capabilities, but should limit service interruptions in excess of 24 hours. Discussion ensued, decision postponed to future date.
2) Bill moves, John second that Nancy act as Interim Treasurer in the absence of Alistair Cammidge, until a longer-term Treasurer can be appointed, or until Alistair can return to the position. Discussion ensued, passed.
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 8:00 P.M., to be held at McAlister’s Deli on Mallard Creek.
Bill moved, John second to adjourn at 10:06 P.M
Minutes for the March 10, 2016 ExComm Meeting
Present were John Barnes, Nancy Campbell, and Bill Fleet.
Meeting commenced at 8:15 PM.
The minutes of the February 17, 2016 meeting (rescheduled from February 11) were printed in the March issue of the IdioM.
Treasurer – Financial report provided (printed below).
Related: Bonnie Haskins reports she has copies of submitted receipts for several outstanding expenses. She covered printing for January, and will probably cover postage for the March IdioM.
No old business was discussed.
1. Nancy moved, Bill second to approve appointment of Ryan Potter as Membership Officer. Passed.
2. Bill moved, Nancy second to approve appointment of Barbara McIntyre as Public Relations Coordinator. Passed.
3. John moved, Bill second to appoint (pending acceptance) the current Nominating Committee of Kathi Rich, Ruth Green-Waite, and Michael Reid, as the Elections Committee. Passed.
4. Nancy moved, Bill second to set up an account with USPS to pay for IdioM postage.
Discussion. C/BR Mensa will need to set up an account with Central Account Processing to
handle either prepayment of postage OR debit transfer of incurred postage expense. Passed.
5. John moved, Nancy second that Ryan Potter be appointed Recruiting and Testing Chair for the remainder of this ExComm term. Passed.
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 8:00pm at McAlister’s, Mallard Creek Church Road.
Nancy moved, John second to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 8:49 P.M.
Minutes for the Thursday, April 7, 2016 ExComm Meeting
Present were Nancy Campbell, Ryan Potter, Bill Fleet and John Barnes.
Meeting called to order at 8:10 PM.
The minutes of the March 10, 2016 meeting were printed in the April issue of the IdioM.
Treasurer – Financial report distributed, to be printed in the May IdioM.
IdioM mailings – Applications are on track for automatic payment of IdioM postage starting
with the May issue. We have been assigned C.A.P.S account #41377. Next step is a refund request for the balance after the April issue is mailed.
1. National has reissued Local Group Charters, and recommended an ExComm review. A PDF is online at http://www.us.mensa.org/lead/policydocuments/local-group-charter/. Section IV, Authorized Activities, Paragraph 3 (re: opinions) is new.
1. Local Group Annual Financial Reports are due at the end of April
2. Summer picnic: John’s, July 16th? (Third Saturday, AG ends July 3rd.)
3. List of candidates to appear in May IdioM. Ballots (if needed) are to be mailed not later than May 1. The ballot has been filled.
4. Discussion – lapsed member mailings. As of 4/6, we have 68 lapsed members including 25 with no email available.
5. Reservation status and/or organizer for the December Holiday Party – Bill volunteers to
organize the event, and is in contact with his desired location, a church in uptown
Charlotte. Nancy moved, John second to allow preliminary budget of $1000. Passed.
6. Results of Member Survey, presented by Ryan Potter. Nearly 10% of the membership
responded, and the majority do not attend events because of inconvenient times or
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 8 PM, to be held at
McAlister’s Deli. Bill moved, Nancy second to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:25 PM.
Minutes for the Thursday, May 5, 2016 ExComm Meeting
Present were Nancy Campbell, Ryan Potter, Bill Fleet and John Barnes.
Meeting called to order at 8:15PM.
The minutes of the April 7, 2016 meeting were printed in the May issue of the IdioM.
Treasurer: April Financial report was presented,
IdioM mailings: After the April mailing we had a $20.74 balance on our Periodicals Permit
(#390-050), which has been refunded. C.A.P.S. account # 41377 has been linked to our
Periodicals Permit, payment for the May mailing should be automatic. They also provided a
web address and PIN to allow online inquiries regarding the C.A.P.S. account activity.
Bill announced that the July issue of Idiom will his last.
1. Local Group Annual Financial Reports were due at the end of April. Nancy reported that
American Mensa is aware of our balances. She is preparing materials for the next
2. There were exactly four candidates for ExComm; they are declared elected without
balloting: John Barnes, Larry Baratta, Nancy Campbell, and Ruth Green-Waite. They will
meet in July to select LocSec, Deputy LocSec, Treasurer, and Member at Large.
3. Reservation status for the December Holiday Party? An inquiry has been made, and
received by the First Presbyterian Church in Uptown Charlotte. They are considering our
proposal, and will get back to us in late May.
4. Lapsed member mailings. National will provide the list this month, and the printed
labels in June. Ryan is working on forms and templates for mailing.
5. Discussion of methods to generate interest for new members, and Gen-X and Gen-Y
6. Nancy moved, Ryan second that we send out the member handbook to new and
Discussion of promotion to send member handbooks to new members. How much needs to be added/changed to update its content? (Not much.)
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 2, 2016 at 8:00PM, to be held at
Nancy moved, Bill second to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:07 P.M.
Minutes for the Thursday, June 2, 2016 ExComm Meeting
The minutes of the May 5, 2016 meeting will be printed in the June issue of the IdioM.
Agenda approved as modified.
Treasurer: May Financial report, attached.
Scholarships: Two local winners have been confirmed. The Margot Seitelman Memorial
Scholarship of $1,000.00 (for a “Graduate student who plans a career in professional writing or teaching English grammar and/or writing”) went to Ludwig Colato, and the Diana Mossip Memorial Scholarship of $300.00 went to Barbara Thomas.
John reports that he is inviting a pigeon expert to provide a pigeon event at the July picnic.
Ryan reports that he is using eVite to contact guests for the next Gen-X event, and has
received a 42% response rate, and a better than 20% expected attendance rate.
The Editor reminds the board that the July issue will be his last.
1. Reservation status for the December Holiday Party – Bill reports that First Presbyterian
Church uptown has respectfully declined our request to host the Holiday party, but we
have a month or two to find another venue, and can always fall back to the Levine Center.
Much discussion of potential venue types and locations.
2. Status of lapsed member mailings. Lapsed members have been mailed reminders.
1. Discussion of printing and mailing costs for the full Member Handbook. Ryan reports
that the member handbook will be 23 or more pages long, and will not fit in the Mensa-
provided envelopes and postage. Nancy moved, Ryan second to rescind the May motion
to print full copies of the handbook for all new members, and mail instead a summary
document, with the full version available online. Passed.
2. Constant Contact (CC) use and benefits, and MailChimp (MC) capabilities: CC has opt-out capabilities for contactees, and MC has all the same capabilities as CC, but for free. MC switchover would not be instantaneous. CC costs $15 per month, and MC is free. Nancy
moved, Ryan second to move to MailChimp expeditiously. Passed.
3. Discussion of calendar requirements vs. IdioM publication requirements. Spontaneous
events fall outside of the IdioM calendar, and are delaying publication of IdioM on a
regular basis. Ryan moved, Nancy second to recognize Email, Website or similarly
scheduled spontaneous events to be official chapter events, in addition to those
published in IdioM. Passed.
4. Life Member Reception – it’s time for a Life Member Reception. Nancy moved, Bill
second, that Nancy will organize a Life/Long-term Member Reception with a budget of
5. Invite Intertel to July picnic – Nancy moved, John second, to invite local Intertel members
and their families to the July picnic. Passed.
Next ExComm Meeting is scheduled for Sunday July 10, 2016 at 2 P.M., to be held at Ruth’s
House. Bill moved, Nancy second to adjourn. Adjourned at 9:20 P.M.
Minutes for the July 13, 2016 ExComm Meeting
Called to order at 4:15 PM, pm. Larry Baratta, Ruth Green-Waite, Nancy Campbell, and John Barnes attending. Minutes from June 2, 2016 were previously approved, proposed agenda was approved after additions to new business.
RECURRING ANNUAL BUSINESS:
Effective July 13, 2016, the four elected ExComm members have agreed among themselves on the following positions: Local Secretary is Nancy Campbell, Deputy Local Secretary is John Barnes, Treasurer is Larry Baratta, and Member At Large is Ruth Green-Waite. The voting ExComm positions of Publications Officer and program Chair are currently vacant.
Rebecca Laney has been appointed Editor.
Reappointment of other current officers: John Barnes as Webmaster, Scholarship Chair, and Testing Coordinator; Bonnie Haskins as Circulation Chair; Bob Maier as Ombudsman, Ryan Potter as Membership Chair; Barbara McIntyre as Publicity Officer.
Nancy moved, Larry seconded, that we reappoint current Area Coordinators for one month, and reevaluate the positions during that time. Passed. This reappoints Craig DuTremble in Iredell County; Mike Reid in Gaston County; Rhod Reep in Lincoln County; Nancy Campbell in North Charlotte; Ryan Potter in South Charlotte.
REPORTS: Nancy Campbell submitted the attached financial report, showing a balance of $2,022.07 on July 1, and has initiated steps for the transfer of records to Larry Baratta.
NATIONAL RECOGNITION: For the membership year of 2015/2016, Charlotte/Blue Ridge Mensa has received the GOLD A.C.E. Award, (one of 6 given nationally), and the RUBY Jewel Award. Also, our 2016 Culture Quest team (“Uncle Churd”, Barbara McIntyre, Captain) finished at #4 nationally.
Planning for the Life & Long Term Member Reception (Saturday, July 30, 7:00 PM) is on track, wine has been purchased and invitations are ready to be printed.
December Holiday Party – Ruth moved, Larry seconded, that Nancy confirm her cost as a member to reserve the large hall at Levine Senior Center in Matthews, that she reserve said room if her cost is under $700, and that if her cost exceeds $700 Lake Pointe Hall in Col. Francis Beatty Park should be reserved as an alternate location. Passed.
Ruth moved, Larry seconded, that prize money from Culture Quest should remain in the local group general fund. Passed.
Ruth moved, Larry seconded, that we reimburse Nancy $87.32 in expenses related to attending the Leadership Summit prior to the Annual Gathering. Passed.
The August ExComm meeting will be 7:00 PM on Thursday, August 4, 2016, at Larry Baratta’s office (4500 Cameron Valley Parkway, Suite 350, Charlotte, NC 28211 USA).
Ruth moved to adjourn, Larry seconded, adjourned at 5:45 PM.